Friday, December 7, 2012

Silver Linings Playbook

Apparently the best way to ensure a definitive lock on the Oscars is to make a film revolving around mental illness. (Trust me, AMPAS loves them.) It seems rather crass that something millions of people have is fodder for awards. (Looking at you, Rain Man.)

Yet David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook doesn't over glorify such a thing. (Thank God.) Instead, the film depicts a menagerie of characters who try to survive the hellish monotony that is life.

I admire any director who can every character as compelling as the last. Russell is one such director. (Other examples include Wes Anderson and Woody Allen.) I haven't read Matthew Quick's novel but I have a feeling that Russell stayed true to it.

Even with the most unlikely of names in the cast, the actors are perfect in their roles. Chris Tucker is quite entertaining in his small role. Jacki Weaver, recently recognized for her Oscar-nominated work in Animal Kingdom, is also quite good. Bless Russell for giving Robert De Niro a long overdue good role. (He needed it. Badly.) The MVPs of Silver Linings Playbook, however, are Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It's clear that Lawrence will get award recognition, but I hope Cooper doesn't get overlooked.

In short, Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. Brilliantly acted and wonderfully written, it's very charming...in a messed up sort of way. Seriously, go see it while you still can.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. RDJ in Tropic Thunder would beg to differ re: the idea that films about mental illness are always awards fodder. "You never go full ret-" ... nevermind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^That comment made me laugh. Great review! I'm really looking foward to seeing this. I wish it would hurry up and get to a theater near me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you ended up liking this one (I know you were cautious about it). Really great, unique film here. I need to see it again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.