Monday, May 2, 2011

Counterfeit Casting: Montgomery Clift

Andrew requested this one on Twitter after being (ahem) "unamused" by the choices for my last two posts. I had difficulty choosing three ideals actors but all in all, it wasn't bad. Who could portray the troubled talent that was Montgomery Clift?

CANDIDATE #1: Ryan Gosling
YES
I'm cheating a little bit since I've only seen Gosling in Half Nelson, but I'm convinced enough that he's right for this role since I know how Gosling can play a person with some serious demons. Plus, he has a sensitive nature to him much like Clift.
NO
I personally can't think of any.

CANDIDATE #2: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
YES
Gordon-Levitt, like Clift, has a sensitive nature to him as shown with his work in (500) Days of Summer. He also can handle heavy roles too like in Brick and Mysterious Skin.
NO
I don't think Gordon-Levitt is experienced enough to portray a famous actor with more than a few issues.

CANDIDATE #3: Leonardo DiCaprio
YES
This one I'm just winging here. We know by now that DiCaprio can play someone that has personal demons (The Aviator, Shutter Island), so it would make sense to have him as Clift.
NO
Though he might be an ideal choice to some, not so to me. I like DiCaprio, but I don't think he's suitable for the part. I actually think he's a little too old for the part.

Who would you have as Clift?

8 comments:

  1. As usually nice post, but I have no idea, as I don't remember Clift in any movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Gosling bears some resemblance, but I personally don't like him as an actor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosling with darker hair could maybe do it. seeing Clift on the big screen yesterday though, I just can't imagine ANYONE doing him justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally see Ryan Gosling as M.C. mainly because I can see him playing Clift's role in "From Here to Eternity". I do however worry that Gosling is sort of stuck playing the same kind of "sensitive" characters over and over again and I don't know how much I'd want to watch him in yet another "angsty" role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good choices. Honestly, I have no idea who'd make a good Clift - but this is definitely my favourite episode.

    Spitballing, I nominate Ben Foster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You haven't seen Lars and the Real Girl? Blue Valentine? Lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I'm pretty bias though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.