Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Last of the Mohicans

The only movies I've seen directed by Michael Mann were crime-based (Heat, Public Enemies, Collateral). Growing interested on other genres Mann has done, I decided to check out The Last of the Mohicans.

As the English and French soldiers battle for control of the North American colonies in the 18th century, the settlers and the native Americans are forced to take sides. Cora Munro (Madeleine Stowe) and her sister Alice (Jodhi May) unwittingly walk into trouble but are saved by Hawkeye (Daniel Day-Lewis), an orphaned settler adopted by the Mohicans.

A few years back, I tried to read James Fenimore Cooper's novel. I was interested in the first hundred or so pages, but then I just stopped reading it. Unfortunately, I felt the same way about the movie but I stuck to my guns and kept watching the movie. The cinematography is lovely and the fight scenes are well-choreographed, but overall I wasn't totally blown away.

My Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.