Friday, October 15, 2010

The Sixth Sense

It's a shame that M. Night Shyamalan's career is essentially in the toilet. He showed a lot of promise with The Sixth Sense, then his next bunch of movies essentially re-marketed The Sixth Sense with the twist ending being different (and lamer).

A few months after an altercation with a troubled ex-patient, child psychiatrist Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) is assigned to analyze Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment), who claims he can "see dead people".

I already knew what the twist was coming in, so it kinda spoiled it. But like what I said about Shutter Island (where I figured out the twist halfway through), it's how the twist is executed that makes it shocking. This is a far cry from Willis' earlier work of action movies. This is one of the creepier movies I've seen.

My Rating: ****1/2

3 comments:

  1. It's not the creepiness that works so well in this film, but it's also the character study within the atmosphere. The emotional scenes with the son and mother, are just perfect, and really do get in your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this in theaters when it came out and I knew what was going on pretty early on. I never cared for Mr. Shyamalan. Even with this, easily his best movie, I felt he was inspired after watching a Twilight Zone marathon. Now the part with Mischa Barton, that was interesting and I wish that was the climax. That part of the film was emotional and riveting.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.