Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath

Although I've only seen three of his movies, I know enough that Henry Fonda is a very talented actor. It kind of shocks me that he was only nominated for an Oscar twice (three times if you count that producer credit for 12 Angry Men).

Tom Joad (Fonda) returns home after spending time in jail to find his family kicked out of their farm due to foreclosure. He catches up with them on his uncle's farm, and joins them the next day as they head for California and a new life...hopefully.

I really loved Fonda's performance as Joad. You always root for him. Jane Darwell was also very good as Ma Joad, particularly with her speech at the end of the movie. John Ford's directing makes you feel like you're in the Great Depression. Although the mood throughout is bleak and depressing, it's still uplifting in a majority of parts.

My Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.