Friday, April 30, 2010

Heat

Like I said before, I prefer guy movies over chick flicks. And to cement that statement, I shall review a bonafide guy movie: Heat.

Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro) is a theif...an expert thief...one of the best. His philosophy in life: become attached to nothing in life that you can't walk away from in 30 seconds if you spot the "heat" around the corner. His crew of criminals is a high-tech outfit pulling off professional jobs that impress even the ikes of Det. Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino). But Hanna, a man driven through life only by his work, becomes obssessed, at the expense of his private life, with bringing McCauley down. As McCauley's crew prepare for the score of a lifetime, and Hanna's team tries to bring him in, the two find that they are challenged by the greatest minds on the opposite side of the law that either one has ever encountered.

Man, what to say about Michael Mann's crime film? I have a few choice words: gripping, tense, FUCKIN' AWESOME. (ahem) Moving on. I can truly understand why Christopher Nolan used Heat as an influence when making The Dark Knight.

My Rating: ****1/2

2 comments:

  1. i prefer guy movies over chick flicks too!

    i actually haven't seen this one in its entirety but it's on my to-watch list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my five favorite films of all time, Heat is a cinematic banquet of intense imagery and pulse-pounding action. I rate it as Mann's best. It's his most kinetic,vibrant,agonising,stirring,brash,violent and brilliance in such a simple story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.